Mark D Lew wrote:

On Nov 17, 2006, at 4:05 AM, dhbailey wrote:

A finale file, whether considered a computer program or a data file, is merely another representation of a copyrighted original [...]

Not necessarily.  What if it's a Finale file of a public domain work?

Well then the issue of an underlying copyrighted work isn't germane, is it? Just another brain fart on my part -- I figured that since the discussion had been about Finale files of copyrighted works that I didn't need to specify.

Finale files, posters, beer coasters, place mats, t-shirts of public domain works are all open to copyright claims by the folks that make them. :-)

--
David H. Bailey