At 9:59 AM +0100 11/27/06, Daniel Wolf wrote:
John:

I was rhetorically exaggerating my case, of course, which should have been clear by my writing "_it seems like_ every University had one or two courses or requirements specifically designed to weed out potential draftees", But it is a point of fact that quotas on class size and reduction of that size from year-to-year were set at political and administrative levels, and that purely academic criteria were not used to arrive at these quotas. There is a huge public record of discussion about this (I'm familiar with some of that which took place, well before my time, at the University of California and Cal State Sytems).

Yes, I've been known to exaggerate a bit myself! Point taken. But as someone who grew up in a family of educators, I saw a very different picture. Perfectly good research showed that teaching was more effective with smaller class sizes, and there was nothing "political" about that research although it was obviously an administrative problem requiring the funding of additional faculty positions. (And it makes a difference whether we are talking about elementary, secondary, or college classes. I assume the latter.)

(Yes, I realized that I'm picking at nits, but I'm enjoying the discussion.)

I think, however, that you would agreed that in the huge expansion of Higher Education which took place in the the post-war era, Universities and the Military clearly worked to mutual benefit: inflating the freshman class both created opportunities for students who might not otherwise see a University campus (as did the GI Bill for veterans) and was a growth opportunity for the Universityes, and the addition of both education and maturity to the draft pool was beneficial to the military.

My Mom was teaching in community college right after WW II, and was right in the middle of the GI Bill rush and all the students who never would have considered higher education without it. And my own grad school was made much more comfortable by the fact that I qualified for GI Bill benefits as well as a government fellowship I didn't even know about! But it depends on exactly what you mean by "mutual benefit." Yes, the law was the law, and Universal Military Training was in place (but only for males, of course), and ROTC courses were required (and taught by active duty military officers, NOT paid out of university budgets). But it's an awfully big stretch between that reality and the theory that universities and the military were working in cahoots, and to the detriment of students. Of course the military wanted well educated officers. The entire officer corps were college educated. What we've found more recently is quite a few students--and not necessarily in the Corps of Cadets--who are in the reserves and have been called up for active duty, starting back with the situation in Kosovo. The university, by policy, makes it as easy as possible for those students to leave and to return, and not all the deployments are long ones, but it's something we've learned to live with.

But the main point of this thread was the decline in language requirements, and my point was that pressure from students wishing to avoid the draft had less to do with this than the fact that academic faculties (particularly in Science and Engineering) had ceased requiring languages on their own, as that study was no longer essential to research or scholarship in their fields.

Well, we seem to be in complete agreement about that. Of course university used to mean a place to study religion, back when schools like Harvard and Yale were founded, and it was necessary to read Latin, Greek, and Hebrew at minimum in order to study scriptures in the original. Which is why Latin was taught in elementary and secondary prep schools. Later on in history it was still taught because it was "good for you" or "trained your mind," which has always struck me as a load of B.S.! But today, to be a citizen of the world, understanding other languages and cultures is a must, and business students who are fluent in other languages are just as needed as military intelligence members. I've often been asked to write recommendations for students applying for internships with the CIA, and it is always the very best, most knowledgeable, sharpest students. That should tell us something.

John

--
John & Susie Howell
Virginia Tech Department of Music