> On Nov 28, 2006, at 9:33 AM, Fiskum, Steve wrote:
>
> > I've had my 5000s since they first came out and
> > have never had to make a call for service, very reliable. They are
> > worth the
> > money IMO.
> >
> > I have never purchased the duplex tray so I have no experience with
> > dulpexing.
> >

> The duplexer is no longer made or supported, so you'd have to buy a
> refurbished one from ebay or somewhere. The duplexer has always been
> the Achilles heel of this model, since in my (repeated) experience it
> only stays in full operating order for about a year--then it starts
> jamming on large, heavy paper, then on thinner large paper, then on
> legal size. You can coax it along for maybe 3-4 years on letter-size
> paper alone, which is the state my latest duplexer (the 3d) is in right
> now.
>
> Otherwise, absolutely: a great printer.
>
> Andrew Stiller

The Laserjet 5200 came out a few months ago, which is apparently another
notch faster than the 5100.  I'm still on a 5000 (5+ years), only
maintenance being a new set of rollers last year.  I had a refurb duplexer
for a short time but it was a real POS, so I went back to manual duplexing.
With 3rd party software to handle the details of booklet making (Fineprint
on the PC), it's not a big deal.  The 5200 has a new duplexer available, no
idea if it's any better than the ones for the 5000 and 5100.

Lee Actor
Composer-in-Residence and Assistant Conductor, Palo Alto Philharmonic
http://www.leeactor.com