Phil Daley wrote:
At 11/30/2006 03:09 PM, Kurt Gnos wrote:

 >I was somewhat astonished by this discussion, as I was astonished by
 >the energy Coda/MakeMusic invests in Finale's playback capabilities.
 >
 >First question: What do you need playback for? I use it for proof
 >reading. Basta. So I haven't ever needed Finale's "save to wav" or
 >"save to mp3". If I want it performed, I get it played by real
 >instruments. I checked it out just in case, and it worked fine.

Yes. I agree. I think it's more important to get the notation done correctly, if you want sound, get another program.

That's certainly one way of looking at the notation issue. But that gets extremely unwieldy when one is making adjustments to a score and wishes to hear what the effect is (no, we're not all Mozarts who are capable of writing our musical thoughts down with very little revision).

One could just as easily say: If all you want is notation with no playback, get another program. It cuts both ways.

Finale fills many different needs for many different people with many different desires/needs. As Finale users, we all need each other so that the marketplace remains large enough that MakeMusic are able to make a profit over continued development of Finale.

I don't ever work with quarter-tone accidentals, yet I don't have any problem with any development effort which is put into that aspect of notation and playback because as that niche of people is able to work better with Finale, the customer base increases.

I never work with figured bass, yet I think that is an area which needs much development because I know that many people use Finale to produce music which requires figured bass, and the better that Finale can handle that, the more the customer base increases.

Lots of people need to create as nice sounding a demo of their music as they possibly can and haven't got money to hire professional musicians to get that demo recorded. If Finale can deliver that, those people will continue to use Finale and will continue to upgrade as those playback and audio aspects improve, and will continue to get others to buy Finale. This is a good thing, not a bad thing.

I don't think it's at all fair for people to say "I don't use that aspect of the program, so anybody who does use that aspect should simply use another program."

As for Kurt's flippant remark "If I want it performed, I get it played by real instruments." (by which I think he actually meant to say 'real people') I can only say that I personally am not wealthy enough to go out and hire a rehearsal orchestra just so that I can have the luxury of hearing my music with realistic sounds. I am delighted that you are and suggest that possibly you establish a trust fund that would allow all of us such a luxury.

If there are notational aspects of Finale that anybody feels need further development, they should be sure to let MakeMusic know. Just as those who have wanted better audio capabilities and more realistic playback were able to get GPO capabilities along with "save as audio," all it takes is the right amount of clout with the company. To tell those people to "use another program" simply diminishes the customer base for Finale and doesn't help guarantee its survival as an application.

--
David H. Bailey