I'm sure that everyones use of Finale differs in some way or another, but it does seem to me that if an "as near as one can get it to live sounding" home recording of what one has written is what you're after, then a separate program to achieve that would seem the most logical to me.

My use of Finale is to write arrangements from big band to symphony pops. So I want to be able to enter notes as quickly as possible, hear them back with a reasonable facsimile of their corresponding sounds (the saxophones will forever sound crappy) and then be able to print out parts with less trouble and in less time than it used to take me to copy them by hand.

And it's the last part where Finale could do with the most improvement. I love having all the tweaking tools that are essential to the engravers but I would like to see better music spacing and page layout that would look good automatically. Even though I'm not an engraver I do like to see the parts appear almost good enough to publish.

I'm sure that achieving a standard that everyone would agree looks "pretty good out of the box" is almost impossible, but I sure wish it was better than it is now. The music spacing I especially find awful and even after using Finale for 15 years ( I'm sure it's my fault for not filling out all the measurments correctly, in all the various boxes) the distance between staves after I extract parts ALWAYS needs to be changed.

I do feel, especially after reading the posts of the incredibly skilled and computer savvy folks on this list, that even though I'm a long time user and avid manual reader I can't help but think that, along with most computer programs, I only know half of it.

Thanks for listening to the ramblings of a loyal Finale user. I don't need to told that Sibleus can do all of that :) I haven't learnt this program yet!

Mike Greensill

www.mikegreensill.com