On Dec 5, 2006, at 3:36 PM, Derek Kane wrote:

Greetings,

I am looking to write lyrics in a hymn-like fashion.

My problem is that I have not been able to figure out how to number each
lyric, and add a space after the number.

1.[space]A  -  maz - ing  grace!

2.[space]'Twas grace that taught....etc.

There is little in the guide. I was able to figure out how to align the
numbers, but the space seems to be tricky.

Any suggestions?

You can enter the number before the A in Amazing, but enter a "hard" space between the two characters so that the cursor doesn't jump to the next note. On Mac it is option-spacebar, and I am afraid I don't know the alt-number that you would have to enter in a Windows environment. No doubt someone here will supply it.

The problem with that solution is that the 1 and the 2 in stacked verses will not be vertically aligned, as you probably would want. In that case, I would enter the 1 and 2 as note-attached expressions in the proper font size and manually align them at 400% view, which aids careful placement. Don't forget you can nudge them with the arrow keys. In versions of Finale after 2004, you can set the expression to align perfectly with the note every time... IF you never change your lyric height, which is not feasible in my case!

 <http://www.plaxo.com/signature> Want a signature like this?

Not really. It took up more space than your message did! There were a whole bunch of extra line feeds in your message, no doubt caused by something in your mail program. Not a big problem for couple of messages, but if you were to post as often as, say, I do... 8-)

Christopher