On 05.12.2006 David W. Fenton wrote:
Johannes, I'm having a great deal of difficulty parsing what you're saying here. There weren't any copyright laws in place, except in England, and composers kept their works to themselves until they sold them to a first publisher. After that, the publications (until c. 1800-15 or so) were pirated by all other publishers, and in the case of popular composers like Haydn, the first edition was often followed by copied editions published by every major publisher in Europe.

You are actually correct, and I was mixing up two instances, one of them was about trios, and was actually fought out in England, and eventually settled with an out of court agreement.

Johannes
--
http://www.musikmanufaktur.com
http://www.camerata-berolinensis.de