Well, I looked it up. The name of the work was _Pro et Contra_. In 1989, we commissioned it for performance and recording. We had a two-movement work in our folders. On Monday, composer got off the plane with, surprise, movement three! Conductor (our MD at the time, whose name I won't mention here) who was just as surprised as everyone else, agreed to add it, even though he had pretty much no time to learn it.

We started rehearsals on Tuesday. The whole orchestra (well, those that don't hate ALL new music) agreed that first movement was fabulous. Second movement was, I thought, also excellent, right to... about there. Right in the middle it just plain turned bad. ( I remember pointing to the rehearsal letter). The brand new third movement was a turkey, and to make it worse, the rattled MD, who normally was very good at new music, was conducting the mixed meters wrong (1-2-3-4-5-uh|1-2-3-4-5-uh| or something like that) and nobody corrected him (including the composer). Performed and recorded it Thursday, performed it again Friday and Saturday. Local critic loved the whole thing, but he's an idiot.

So listen to the first half of the work, with my highest recommendation!

Louisville Orchestra LCD006

Raymond Horton
Bass Trombonist,
Louisville Orchestra

Will Denayer wrote:
Aaron, thank you very much, you are a big help. These little things help me so much. I really appreciate. Raymond, no. The symphony I am talking about is Stimmen ... Verstummen on Chandos with the Royal Stockholm Philharmonic. It also contains Stufen. I listened to it again for several times last evening and I'm still disappointed. I heard a string quartet of her before which I found magnificent. The big downer is still Nono. So, please tell us your story. I am interested in her work. Best regards, Will