At 09:09 PM 12/11/2006, Will Denayer wrote:
>  When I press alt ­ G (which is indeed the right command for a grace
>note in easy entry), something really bizarre happens. This is what I
>did. I created one staff in 4/4 and notated 4 quarter notes for the
>first measure, so this measure is full. I wanted to start the second
>measure with 5 grace notes, so I pressed alt-G and put in the notes.
>The notes start by counting back (!): the first eight grace note
>positions itself on the second part of the last beat of the previous
>measure and so on.

When you're done entering notes, respace the music and everything should be fine. If you have on Automatic Music Spacing (in the Edit menu), this should happen automatically when you select some tool other than Simple Entry. Otherwise, select the Mass Edit tool, select the measures in questions, and hit 4. This will respace the measures, and everything should look fine.

>When I play back, all the regular notes
>are sounded simultaneously with some of the grace notes

That's because each of the grace notes takes up time, and the main beats need to still fall where they should. By default, each grace note sounds like a 32nd note. So if you have more than 8 grace notes between two beats, Finale needs to start the grace notes before the first beat in order to have the second beat still arrive on time.

>came up. There is row of symbols on my screen which I do not use for
>the moment, but I cannot do this row away to have more space. The row
>starts with the symbol for ‘Show margins’ and ends with ‘Automatic
>Music Spacing’.

That's the Layout Toolbar. Go to Window | Toolbars and uncheck Layout Toolbar.

Aaron.