Will, if you are on Mac, there might be a "gotcha" here.

I tried to change the default program to open PDFs to be Preview (faster, smaller than Reader) and ended up defeating my abilities to read the manual from inside Finale. Finale NEEDS the manual files to be opened in Adobe Reader ONLY. Once I changed their defaults back to Reader, all was well, and I was able to access the manual from the Help menu of Finale, as I should be able to do.

Christopher

What doesn't open -- Adobe Reader, or the Finale manual? Have you tried downloading and installing a new copy of Adobe Reader from <http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html>?