On 14 Dec 2006 at 4:25, Darcy James Argue wrote:

> While this is excellent advice, since it has approximately zero
> chance of ever being adopted by even a significant minority of
> participants, I urge all subscribers bothered by the extensive
> quoting to subscribe to the regular list, not the digest. (How hard
> is it to set up a rule and just check your Finale folder once a day?)

Well, you're missing one of the main advantages of the Digest, that
you only get 3 messages per day. If you want to be notified of new
email when it is received, the Finale list traffic could be an
annoyance that you don't want. That is, if you consider Finale
messages not as important as others, the notification of the arrival
of Finale messages is a distraction and can get in the way of the
more important email. With the Digest, you only get a handful of
notifications during the day.

All that aside, it's just good practice to trim all quoted material
to the kernel of material that is relevant to what your reply is
about.

I consider the top-posting style with the whole thread quoted below
to be an abomination and a huge mistake on the part of the designers
of email programs that designed their quoting to work that way. It
leads to a huge amount of completely unnecessary material to be sent
and encourages stupid replies where pages and pages are quoted with
nothing but "I agree!" or "Thanks!" at the top.

The main rule: trim the unnecessary material, whether you top-post or
do it the traditional way, and then nobody will be able to complain.