On Dec 15, 2006, at 6:38 AM, shirling & neueweise wrote:

Christopher Smith hath wrat:

or "wrot", which might describe it better, too! 8-)

I have never touched my baseline heights, preferring to
adjust vertical offsets in the expressions themselves for automatic
placement purposes.

i do much the same, reading my comment again i see it wasn't really clear that i was talking about the triangles you can adjust on the left of the screen. from the manual chapter 37-23:

Baseline Positioning in linked parts
- Moving the leftmost baseline triangle (all staves/all systems) in the Score effects all Parts.

They must mean "affects."

- Moving the 2nd baseline triangle (entire staff) in the Score applies to all parts that contain that staff. - Moving the 3rd baseline triangle (single system) has no effect on parts, only the score.
- Moving the 4th baseline triangle has no effect in any part.

uh... so what does the 4th triangle do then that the 3rd can't do?

I have never grasped the 4th triangle in the other tools either. And furthermore, the definitions you quoted above are news to me, as I had always assumed that they were identical to the 4 triangles in the other tools like lyrics and chords. But since I don't touch them as a rule...

actually... thinking a little about this i see they could be quite useful for lower staves of grand staff parts and vocal parts, where the dynamics should sit above the staff; instead of manually adjusting each expression vertically.

There you go!

Christopher