David Froom wrote:
First of all, I've seen Kontakt 2 discussed on the list -- but right now, all we have is 1.1.8,3, correct? This is the last update to the player that we've been able to get from the Native Instruments site, and it is pretty old.

If your lab is going to use Intel macs, then you want Kontakt player 2 that is universal binary. Using Kontakt player under Rosetta (IE: emulation) is terrible. It stutters and is basically not worth trying in my opinion. If the Macs are G5s or anything non-Intel, then it's not an issue. The Kontakt player will work fine.
Second question: when I taught this two years ago (and GPO was fairly new), I had a lot of trouble installing GPO under a multiple user environment in the Mac lab. It simply was not possible to have students on a single computer with multiple accounts get access to GPO. We will use it both with Finale and with MOTU Digital Performer. Last time I tried to get this to work, in order for the students to be able to use GPO, we had to give them administrative logins! We tried everything, but this was the only way.
Hmmm. Searching NI's Forums I get this:
http://www.native-instruments.com/index.php?id=2203&action=view&uid=57271&startrow=30&filter=SP_Product_group%7Csearch%7Csearchtype%7E%7CKontakt%7C1

Your NI software authorization key can be used by any user on a Mac, assumed they are all users on the same computer.

In order to port the authorization from the admin user, who installed the software and registered it, to another user under the same system:

copy (do not move!) the Finale GPO Kontakt player.plist file from

Macintosh HD /users//library/preferences

into

Macintosh HD/users//Public/Dropbox

then login under the other user. the other "new" user must copy the file from the drop box to his user preferences folder:

Macintosh HD /users//library/preferences

After this you should be able to use the software.

Please note that the file permission for the copied .plist file may not yet be correct. You will have to change these manually via the Finder's GET INFO (apple-I) window.

Select the file> Finale GPO Kontakt player.plist

Press Apple-I

Expand the "ownership and permissions" section

Change the group to > admin, read and write
Change > others, read and write

Close the window