On 20 Dec 2006 at 16:51, A-NO-NE Music wrote:

> David W. Fenton / 2006/12/20 / 04:27 PM wrote:
>
> >Sounds like a Microsoft problem. Perhaps Dell is not the right place
> >to purchase your PC -- maybe you need to find a vendor that can pre-
> >install (and support) the version of Windows that you need.
>
> Again, as I have said here many times, Micro$oft does not allow it.
> Only Micro$oft authorized importer is allowed to sell Japanese version
> of their software.  Windows is $550, and Office is $840.   On the
> other hand, my OSX 5 license pack cost me only $150(!).  Which
> platform cost more? :-)

I don't have a dog in that fight.

> >They provide you with the software pre-
> >installed and if you didn't purchase the media disks (costs about $10
> > extra), then you don't have any way to re-install, and it's not
> >really their problem.
>
> I still don't understand your logic.  By the way, they didn't tell me
> anything about $10 media disk.  They told me to pay for full retail of
> WinDVD which cost was way more than that.  Anyway, I think this is OT
> enough now ;-)

In general, the default configuration for Dell PCs includes the $10
media disks, which include OS re-install, drivers and applications.
If you don't get them, then you have to create the disks yourself
from images stored on the hard drive. If you reformat before you do
that, you've lost the software that Dell provided to you and it's
really not their job to provide you with the software (though I don't
understand why they can't ship you the media disks for a reasonable
fee).

It may be that the deal with the company that makes WinDVD is
different from others and that Dell is prohibited from helping you
out there. I'd call Dell back and try to go up the chain of support
to see if I could find out something about it. Ask to speak to a
supervisor. If that fails, write to Michael Dell -- I'm serious about
that. A client of mine had a problem with their laptop and she wrote
to Michael Dell and someone from his office called her back and
spearheaded getting her problems resolved.

Sounds to me like you would be representative a large number of
potential Dell customers and they should want to serve you better.
Escalating your complaint may get you something. Or it may not -- but
my experience with Dell is that once you get beyond the first-line
support drones, they are decent people who just want to keep you
happy.