On 22 Dec 2006 at 9:47, Christopher Smith wrote:

> On Dec 21, 2006, at 9:42 PM, shirling & neueweise wrote:
>

> >> I'm curious is there a way to change the pitch of "A" in the
> >> playback features for Finale, e.g. to adjust down to 410 ?
> >
> > assuming you are using a tuning of 440Hz, adjust all your tempos to
> > 93% of the original (410/440)
> >

> First off, adjust the playback tempo to be 7.3% (440/410) faster, or
> 107.3% of the original (BPM x 107.3). Then save an audio file. Then
> set the playback of the audio file to be 93% of the speed at which it
> was recorded. Then the pitch will be lower AND the tempo will be the
> same.

Audacity can change pitch and tempo independently (as should be the
case for any audio application that can do digital manipulation of a
waveform).

> Or just playback from inside Finale a semitone lower, which would do
> largely the same thing (though you would be about 1.2% short, or
> around 415 instead of 410). Maybe the last 1.2% (5 Hz) could be
> accomplished by retuning the playback device. This is a different
> procedure for different devices.

How do you accomplish "playback from inside Finale a semitone lower"?

I thought Kim's request for A410 was strange, as that's not a
recognized historical pitch with which I'm familiar. I know that A415
is not really historical, either (just convenient in an A440-based
world), but if he asked for A410, then I think we who are suggesting
solutions should be offering solutions to the question he *asked*,
not the one we know the answer to!

As to those who've suggested transposition in Finale, that's fine as
long as there aren't already transposing instruments in the score. C
scores are not common in early music (nor should they be), so that's
very possibly an issue with the scores he's dealing with.