There are many modern string players who are quite informed about intonation. Kolisch, when playing Schoenberg's Fantasy, tuned all four strings to the piano, in order to play more precisely in equal temperament. Paul Zukofsky and Marc Sabat have both integrated alternative tunings into their playing. Sabat, in particular, has phenomenal control and plays various just systems, pythagorean, meantone, or tempered as required by the repertoire. In the Netherlands, the Lemkes/Vos duo specialized in playing 31-tone equal temperament, which is virtually indistinguishable from an extended quarter-comma meantone. Cellist Anton Lukoszevieze has specialized in works in which tuning is a central concern. And there are a number of quartets that do phenomenal work with alternative tunings, whether tempered or just, in scores from Haba to Ben Johnston, to Lou Harrison.

Daniel Wolf

dc wrote:
I've never seen a modern violinist who even knows what a meantone fifth is, let alone accepts to tune his fiddle in anything but what he calls "in tune". For a modern cellist, an interval is either in tune or out of tune. There's no meantone, unequal, well-tempered or what fifth. A fifth is a fifth, as I said. I've had many of them look at me with the most surprised face when I ask them how they tune their instruments, as if there was more than one way to tune. On the other hand, string players who come to 17th century music not from Mozart or Haydn or Beethoven but from Renaissance music have no trouble tuning and playing in meantone.

Dennis