Robert Patterson / 2007/01/23 / 10:42 AM wrote:

>This list has famously reported that Finale does not have native Unicode
>support. But I have seen at least one Japanese website that shows Finale
>dialogs (including Patterson Beams) translated into Japanese. Does anyone
>know how this was done? Are there ASCII fonts that do Japanese and Chinese
>script? If so, would that not require arbitrary font changes to achieve all
>the characters?

I have both Japanese and English versions of Finale.  On Mac, Finale
processes in Mac Roman Japanese encoding.  On Windows, Finale processes
in PC932 encoding.

Why Finale isn't a single binary?  I was explained by the JP locale dev
team that the market in Japan for Finale are not necessarily familiar
with desktop computing, and many menus can't be simply translated but
needs to be restructured.  I was not too crazy about JP version being
independent, not to mention I get confused when I switch :-(

--

- Hiro

Hiroaki Honshuku, A-NO-NE Music, Boston, MA
<http://a-no-ne.com> <http://anonemusic.com>