thanks to all for the comments.

At 17:02 +0100 1/28/07, Daniel Wolf wrote:
I've lived in Germany since 1989. I can't imagine that there is a law regulating the format of sheet music but there may be either a state regulation for workplaces or an agreement in the individual orchestra's employment contract regarding the legibility of reading materials, i,e, it would be hazardous to the eyes to force an employee to read materials that are too small.

this is in fact possible.

If the format of the materials has been specified in the local contract, then the composer would certainly have cause against the orchestra for not having informed him or her about the local requirements at the time of the commission.

nothing was mentioned, and as i said, i was in contact with both the festival director who programmed the work and the orchestral score archivist (notenarchiv) much before the stage of part extraction, and neither made any comment related to format.

i have spoken with one musician i know in the orchestra, who is quite professional, and when pressed for the "too small" comment said the size was fine, there could have been more space between the systems, in certain sections it was sometimes difficult to find oneself on the page because of the nature of the notation in this work - the comment is in fact valid to a point, some pages were fairly dense, but for really valid page turn reasons; my page turns are typically very good, i have pressed many musicians on this point...

--

shirling & neueweise ... new music publishers
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] :.../ http://newmusicnotation.com