On Jan 29, 2007, at 8:41 PM, masao iikura wrote:

Hi, all.
I entered half rests and chords on layer 4. Then I tired to set a staff style
which shows default whole rests on layer 1 and only chords on layer 4.
I achieved at best to make a staff style which shows chords only and no defaul
t rests on layer 1.
Did I miss something or it is ‘the best’ result of Staff Style function?

I think the best you can do is what you did, then enter whole rests manually. If they shift up (because of layer settings) then you can manually hit * in Speedy Entry one at a time to get them back to normal level, or you can enter the whole rests in layer 3, which by default does NOT shift rests when items are in other layers.

BTW, in my version of Finale I have a pre-made Staff Style called Blank Notation (Layer 4) that came with Finale that does what you describe.

Christopher