In a recent series of emails, Matthew Hindson and I noted that on a Mac using Quickeys 3, the Quickeys Background Engine has a memory leak (or something) and can cause your Mac to slow down enormously. This usually happens to me after an hour or so of Finale use. I use a lot of Quickeys macros when I use Finale.

The way to solve it was to open Activity Monitor in the Utilities folder and quit the Quickeys Background Engine (NOT the Quickeys application itself). You would get a warning about the tool bar and palettes not working in Quickeys, but neither of us needs this and Quickeys continues to work anyway.

I got tired of quitting the Background Engine every time I rebooted or logged in, so I found a way to get rid of it once and for all.

Instructions:

1) Quit Quickeys.
2) Control-click on the Quickeys application and choose "Show package contents" from the contextual menu.
3) Open Quickeys: Contents: Resources
4) Trash (or convert to zip for backup safety) the "QuicKeysBackgroundEngine" file. 5) Close all windows and restart Quickeys. Now you won't even get the warning dialog boxes!

I hope this doesn't cause anything to blow up on your computer, but if you are concerned, please direct all email to Matthew in Australia. He is from the future (at least according to my time zone: Central Standard Time) and he might be able to warn you in advance!

-Randolph Peters