Daniel Wolf wrote:

At 08:11 PM 2/4/2007 -0500, A-NO-NE Music wrote:
I remember, in traditional harmony, you are not supposed to double the
3rd, but I don't remember what is the reason for this.

Voice leading (specifically, to avoid parallel octaves), and to some extent intonation (the precise intonation of the third is less clear than that of the root and fifth, if the third is doubled at the octave it risks creating a tuning conflict).

And it's important to remember that all of this applies only to 4-part writing. Add a 5th voice and the "rules" change.

--
David H. Bailey