On Feb 7, 2007, at 10:41 AM, David W. Fenton wrote:

If Randolph sent a message both to the listserv and to you directly,
the one to you directly would not have had a Reply-To header if his
email client does not put one in. But the message from the listserv
would have had the list address in the Reply-To. If you've set up
your subscription on mailman to suppress duplicates, you would not
have seen the listserv message, only Randoph's direct-to-you message.

Ah, I get it now.

The "setting" I lost is that the subject column in my email window isn't wide enough so I never even noticed the "(offlist)" that was appended to the subject line. My mail is programmed to dump any message with "[Finale]" in the header into one mailbox, so I just answered the message without ever realizing it was intended only for me and not for the whole list.

Sorry, Randolph, for publicly replying to a private message. Fortunately, there wasn't anything especially private in it. And thanks, David, for the explanation.

mdl