select the whole staff with your midi tool and set velocity to 0. (or just
the range of measues you don't want to hear)

Hey: Anyone! How do you set a default for chord symbols to NOT PLAYBACK
globally?
I hate having to uncheck those damn boxes everytime I create a new chord
symbol, and I almost always forget.