At 12:06 AM -0500 2/13/07, Christopher Smith wrote:
On Feb 12, 2007, at 10:53 PM, Mark D Lew wrote:

In this particular case I happen to have another problem which I didn't even bring up: what happens if the singer wants it in a key that the piano part resists? It turns out that my singer's favored key is Db major,

I realize this wasn't the point of Mark's post, but it caught my eye. In preparing to do an Andrew Lloyd Webber medley about 15 years ago, I listened to all the shows, and was surprised to discover that all the big songs were, in fact, in the key of Db!

How can a piano part "resist" a key? I can see a pianist without chops getting upset, but those guys like Chopin and Debussy seemed to like keys with lots of black keys! I've been told (not a pianist myself) that C major is the most awkward key for a pianist, given that our fingers are all different lengths.

John

--
John & Susie Howell
Virginia Tech Department of Music