I have done it both ways and haven't noticed any problems with either yet.
The most logical trouble free way is as you said, create it slightly
larger so when it reduces, it will look normal. But it's somewhat specious
to argue placement as the grace notes already have spacing parameters
regarding their object notes, and unless you change a lot of music spacing
parameters that affect both the entries and the grace notes, the amount of
detectable movement of the slash is extremely small. I've done this for
several years and have resized & repaginated systems both in the parts and
in the score and have not had to tweak them very often. They seem to
pretty much stay put. As long as I add them after I have already spaced
the music, which is, as I said, my pattern of work. What I have had to
adjust often is (when I create the parts) the grace notes, which sometimes
have to be manually dragged to a correct position (even though I always
have scale manual positioning of notes turned ON, and clear manual
positioning turned OFF as my program/documents/spacing defaults). When I
have to do that, the slash attached to the object note is useful as a
guide.

Unless I've dreamed it, I thought there was also a selection now to slash
beamed grace notes somewhere in 2K7. In the Beaming menu maybe? Anyone
know the answer?