> Two questions:
>
> 1) When engraving a score that doesn't use barlines, what's the best
> way to ensure that the invisible barlines don't affect spacing (other
> than making each score system a single measure)?

They will still affect the spacing somewhat because of the defaults you
can change regarding (1) measure tool; set it to time sig spacing, or
evenly across measure and drag/create handles as needed; (2) preferences
where you set all the notation options (distance setting for "music"
creates or deletes space before and/or after music, ie: notes). I can't be
sure where this dialog is in the menus, but you could look under Document
Options, or "google" the help menu.

> 2) What's the best way to deal with a score that combines sections
> with barlines (where you *do* want the barlines to affect music
> spacing) and sections without?

Use the Mass Mover/Music Spacing options for specific regions where you
want specific results. Don't respace the entire score using the same
settings.

I have a score posted on my website where I had to do all kinds of
wierdness with barlines and spacing to accomodate an symphony orchestra
that was divided into 3 orchestras, each with their own conductor, and all
at different tempos. Every 7 measures, the downbeats would coincide, but
everywhere else, the barlines were in different places and the music had
to be spaced properly within each of the 3 sections. Big fun to figure
out, but it worked. Some day if you've got nothing but time on your hands,
I can write you a long letter of how this was achieved!
(www.VernGraham.com     then select DOWNLOADS/SOUNDINGS SCORE; you can't
actually download it, but you can view it by clicking the download text in
the prompt window)

Ta daa!  Vern