At 6:02 PM -0500 2/20/07, Andrew Stiller wrote:
All these critics have it upside down: popular music is composed and distributed because it is what people want to hear. It is just not true to assert that the music comes first and is imposed manipulatively upon an unthinking populace. What is going on here is basic supply-and-demand, nothing else.

Aw, Andrew, don't confuse our resident philosophers with the facts!!

As a child of my generation, I am aurally familiar with all 107 Haydn symphonies, which nobody of any previous generation (except Haydn himself!) could say. Am I therefore to be deemed less able to appreciate them--or other music--than the less Haydn-saturated folk of yore? Or does classical music saturation not count, somehow?

So true, but the textbook I use says there are 104. Did Haydn write three new ones?

One of my favorite lines from the generation that saw the first recording technology is Holmes, saying to Watson, "Come, doctor, we're off to the Albert Hall to hear Sarasate play." But that was in London. Neither Sarasate nor anyone else famous would tour the provinces, as far as I know. By my generation there were Civic Music Societies that brought big name concert artists to our very off-the-beaten-track town, but there were also many available recordings.

John

--
John & Susie Howell
Virginia Tech Department of Music