On Feb 27, 2007, at 10:26 AM, Ken Moore wrote:

You don't mention Georgia, which I use mainly for its figures (with ascenders and descenders). At 22 point, it has about the same x- height as 24-point TNR, but it may be too wide for your purposes.

I like Georgia, but it's far too wide for lyrics.

Georgia is an extremely well-designed font. Along with its partner Verdana, it was one of the first designed specifically for on-screen reading, and it's still among the best. I strongly recommend Georgia and Verdana as defaults for viewing websites.

That doesn't mean they can't look good on paper, of course, but the fonts were designed with a specific goal in mind. The readability factors for screen and for print aren't the same, so if a font is optimized for one it won't be optimized for the other. For the same reason, I wouldn't expect Minion/Myriad to be ideal for reading on screen.

mdl