At 4:43 PM -0500 3/1/07, A-NO-NE Music wrote:
dhbailey / 2007/03/01 / 04:19 PM wrote:

Most published editions don't have their
final line end anywhere other than flush against the right margin.

I have always wondered what is the reason for this.  To me, if the last
line is shorter, it is helpful to show it's the end at a glance.  For
the same reason, for my jazz charts, I start the solo section with new
line, and make the line before shorter if I can.  This helps solo
section looping easier on eyes.  Coda is indented, and the line before
also gets shorter when I can.  My musicians appreciate these small helpers.

The history of both methods is probably based on hand copied scores. I never, EVER tried to make last measures come out right flush in manuscript, or to fill a page to the bottom. And yes, I used spacing tricks to make reading and sightreading easier and more intuitive. Engraving practice adopted other conventions.

John

--
John & Susie Howell
Virginia Tech Department of Music