Raymond Horton wrote:
This sounds to me, already, like a dumb question, but here goes anyway:

Is there any guideline established as to how much I can quote of a copyrighted piece of music without getting into trouble?

I know that there are guidelines for broadcast, but are there any for compositional plagiarism? I'm guessing there are not, but hoping there are.

DISCLAIMER: I am not a lawyer, I have never even played a lawyer on TV, so what follows is not intended in any way to be legal advice and I would encourage you, when in doubt, to consult a copyright attorney in your area who is versed in music and entertainment copyright specifically:

There is nothing codified, not even for broadcast. Copyrighted material is copyrighted and without getting permission and/or paying a fee, nothing can be done with it.

With that said, there seems to be a threshold below which actions usually aren't taken. A few bars of a quotation probably won't get a lawsuit, yet the same amount of an original recording, sampled, can result in a lengthy court case and payment of a fine.

Essentially, what has seemed in the past to be the test used to be what sort of an economic impact on the the original copyrighted material did the copying make. So a small quotation would never undermine the sales potential of the original or be mistaken for the original, and so didn't used to be likely to be prosecuted to a successful end for the original copyright owner. More recently it has become more a world of "mine, mine, mine, get your stinking hands off MY STUFF!!!!" So that things which would have no economic impact at all nor would reduce the marketability of the original are being successfully prosecuted.

The one area which is much more open is the area of satire/parody. I was interested to learn (wish I could remember the learned copyright site I read this on) that this is much more narrowly defined and interpreted than I had thought. I was originally under the impression that using a copyrighted melody with new lyrics in a satirical manner was protected, but the interpretation of this clause (where free speech and personal property principles clash) has been that it is alright to use the melody and put new words if the new creation parodies the original creation. So using a well-known melody which was about love can't be used to put words which parody a TV commercial (for instance.) But using the "Barney Song" and changing the words to be satirical about Barney is protected by that aspect of the law, apparently.

So if your use of the copyrighted material is satirical towards the original (sappy romantic music turned into carnival-type two-step, for instance) you might be alright with a larger quotation than if you simply want to evoke an image by a short quotation of a well-known melody.

--
David H. Bailey