At 10:09 AM -0500 3/4/07, Darcy James Argue wrote:

Over-notated parts won't help mediocre players swing harder.

Now THAT should be done in cross-stitch and turkeywork and hung on the wall!!!

John

P.S. I arrange and sometimes compose for our Community Band, and it's a real problem. 99% of the players have NO swing in their playing, and coming even close to what jazz pros would do automatically depends on having the right lead trombone, lead trumpet, and lead alto playing and really leading their sections. Jazz really is a different musical world, where the same notation leads to a different dialect or even a different musical language. And yes, you have to write for your target market.

But string players are even worse!!

--
John & Susie Howell
Virginia Tech Department of Music