From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
dhbailey
Sent: 05 March 2007 20:17
To: finale@shsu.edu
Subject: Re: [Finale] How much can I quote?

Raymond Horton wrote:
Thanks, Christopher, for that link, and to everyone else for the excellent and extremely helpful advice I received here on this subject.

For example, I wonder if the opening 7-note guitar riff from Lennon-McCartney's "Yer' Birthday, " used in a serious, somewhat quodlibet-type composition (not sampled), used out of the blue to give a birthday reference (in other words - meant to be recognizable) would constitute plagiarism (my guess is probably) or could it be protected by any sort of artistic license or any other such thing. Not really a musical parody, but possibly close to one.

[snip]

My guess would be that such a short quotation would be alright [disclaimer: I'm not a lawyer and this is just a guess] since it in no way would diminish the merchantability of the original, would in no way be mistaken for the original.

I think the only way you could parody that song would be to change the lyrics so it didn't refer to a birthday but to a deathday or a wedding day or some other sort of special day (even something like "They say it's a Tuesday, We're gonna have a dull time." would be a parody) but simply throwing in a snippet of the song (unless it were possibly in the midst of an arrangement of The Funeral March) wouldn't, in my decidedly non-legally-trained mind, constitute any legal parody.