Hello all,

I'm arranging some jazz pieces for a quintet which includes viola and
tenor trombone. What are the  keys that players of those instruments
tend to enjoy playing in the most?

Thanks.

**Leigh

A fine trombonist friend of mine once told me that he prefered the sharp keys esp. A, E, and B major as examples. He said that in those keys most notes never fall in 1st postion and therefore the player has more versitility and flexibility for tuning, slide vibrato, bending in and out of notes etc. Rather like using open strings on the stringed instruments - it cramps the style somewhat.

Strings also prefer sharp keys, so you might just be able to keep them all happy.

Interested to know what the other 3 instruments are...

Jonathan