Hi Henry

Try this ...

PREFERENCES > TYPE & AUTO TRACING > TYPE OBJECT SELECTION BY PATH ONLY

make sure this is checked. If you don't, then you are prone to
selecting things using the whole "bounding box" rather than just the
path, which means that something with a large bounding box that is
front of the element you are trying to select, may be selected
instead.

Furthermore, finale EPS files have all their objects grouped, so you
will have to select an item and then OBJECT > UNGROUP so that you can
work with each element.

--
Simon Troup
Digital Music Art