Thank you Andrew!  That answers it!

:-)

Warm regards,

Karen

On Mar 14, 2007, at 5:09 PM, Karen wrote:

Hi all,

I have a project for which I need to write for Glass Armonica. I have come across this instrument before but I'm not sure if I remember the proper way to note for it. I seem to remember that it is written on a grand staff but with both staves in treble clef and I think it is written an octave lower than where it sounds. But I'm not sure.

Is that correct?

I recently published a piece for this instrument (GarcĂ­a: _llovizna_), where it was notated on a grand staff w. two treble clefs, but at the sounding pitch.

According to Sybil Marcuse (who is not always to be trusted), the instrument's original range was g0 - g2 (Helmholtz numbering), which would make perfect sense on two treble clefs at actual pitch. The pitch was later expanded to c0 - c4, which would require 5 ledger lines above the top staff and 4 below the bottom staff.

If the instrument were written an octave below its sounding pitch (like the celesta), this expanded range would require the use of bass clef.

Andrew Stiller
Kallisti Music Press
http://www.kallistimusic.com/kallisti.html