On 21 Mar 2007, at 7:38 PM, Johannes Gebauer wrote:

It has got little to do with what the composer intended. In my opinion the convention is by far the most logical way to number measures,

Strongly disagree.

and in addition it is the only which allows individual parts to differ on endings while still having the same measure count.

I would see that as a bug, not a feature. All parts and the score ought to have the same roadmap, IMO (absent some exceptional cases like some instruments looping while others go on, or asymmetrical barlines or whatnot).

I also find it very strange especially in baroque movements which are symmetric when the second section starts with measure 18, bringing the measure count to 33. Makes no sense to me.

Only if you feel measure numbers have anything at all to do with phrasing or form. In the kind of copying/engraving I do, they don't. They're just labels.

Cheers,

- Darcy
-----
[EMAIL PROTECTED]