On Mar 22, 2007, at 10:07 AM, Darcy James Argue wrote:

I am confident that neither Chuck nor Hiro would assign multiple sets of measure numbers to, for instance, an open solo section, even though the music is played multiple times. If the solo section is just a simple repeat, each measure would get one set of numbers. Even if a solo section is not open, but repeated a set number of times (say, 3Xs), I very much doubt that Chuck or Hiro would assign three sets of numbers to that section. But perhaps I'm mistaken, in which case I'm sure they will correct me.

The question then arises: what do you do if the solo section has multiple endings? Often, in solo sections, you'll keep taking the first ending every time, until the cue to go on, when you take the "Last X Only" second ending. Would either Chuck or Hiro assign two sets of numbers to that solo section, one corresponding to "every time but the last time" and another corresponding to "last time - going on"?

Normally, only one set of numbers, but I have encountered a few situations where I have found it useful (to me) to use two. If I have an AABA, 32 measure repeated solo section that, for reasons of space saving, has its first A section written as 8 measures with a repeat (with or without 1st and 2nd endings), I will use two sets of numbers for that A section, even though it is only written once. To my ear, there are 16 measures there so, when I get to B, it's measure 17, not 9. I can accept arguments to the contrary, but that's the way I do it, and I am at least consistent in my practice.

I have also saved space on one part where there is a simple repeat of a solo section, but other instruments have a variety of entrances throughout the two choruses. Those parts that require 64 measures to appear on the page are numbered consecutively, while the simple solo section can comfortably, even more efficiently, have 32 measures with two sets of numbers. (Can't do that with linked parts!) Assuming conventional form with the solo starting at 33, it is then sufficiently clear to say, "Take it from 41, or 73."

On the other hand, if it is a simple repeated chorus, I am comfortable with one set of numbers. "Take it from 65, second time."

Chuck

Cheers,

- Darcy
-----