On Mar 26, 2007, at 8:27 PM, John Howell wrote:

My internet search skills are barely noticeable, and I've never come across anything that gives the whole story on the earlier versions of U.S. copyright [...]

A pretty good discussion of the copyright philosophies of some of the Founders and the genesis of America's first copyright laws can be found here: <http://www.guardster.com/?Tutorials- Copyright_Law_in_the_U.S.>

The eventual purpose of the article is to make a political point about copyright today, but there's considerable historical background leading up to it. The discussion presumes that you know a little bit about 18th century British copyright law, but it's not essential.

mdl