On Mar 28, 2007, at 3:30 AM, Ole Buck wrote:

Remind me a lot about the story of avant garde composer Claude Vivier (1948-1983) who was murdered by a young Parisian male prostitute.

I *knew* that name sounded vaguely familiar! I knew this guy. Back in 1970 the New England Conservatory held a "Symposium for Student Composers," wherein grad student contingents from 8 different schools in the NE US and adjacent Canada got together, gave concerts, and generally learned from each other and had a good time. Vivier was part of the contingent from the Conservatoire de Musique de Montréal.

I saved the symposium's program book, wherein I had entered checks and Xs next to the titles offered, to show my opinion of them. I see that I gave Claude Vivier's *Proliferation* a double check, so I clearly was impressed by it--but I have absolutely no memory of the piece today. Of Vivier himself I remember only that he was already on his way out the conservatory door, that this concert was his parting shot.

At that same conference I made friends w. Jean Laurendeau, who played ondes martenot in Vivier's piece, and has gone on to be a major exponent of his instrument.

Andrew Stiller
Kallisti Music Press
http://www.kallistimusic.com/kallisti.html