I tried viewing it in pdf form with the built in OSX preview program, I exported a page in PICT format & viewed it with the Preview program and both had the darker lines show up. However, when I viewed the pdf in Acrobat 7 reader, it looked just fine. It appears the problem shows up with the Preview Program.

I tried adjusting the barlines and that does seem to have an effect. I went into staff attributes. staff setup and changed the barlines for one of the percussion staves that is affected. I changed the top barline from 24 to -64 and the bottom barline from -24 to 64 (I just picked the number 64 to see what would happen). Now when I view the pdf in the OSX Preview Program, the dark part of the line for that particular staff is significantly reduced. The paper printout is still unaffected. I could probably get it to disappear completely if I enter a large enough number. I suppose I could adjust the barlines enough so that they disappear and are no longer a problem, however, I don't seem to have the sfaff setup option available to me with the standard 5 line notation option selected. So the only barlines it seems I can change would be the ones where I have staff:other selected such as in the percussion staff. That doesn't seem like a real good solution. Is there something, perhaps I missed when setting up the group barlines?

My concern is that I make perusal scores available in pdf format, so I don't want these dark lines to show up at all.

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To: finale@shsu.edu
Sent: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 4:43 PM
Subject: Re: [Finale] inconsistent barlines

  On 28-Mar-07, at 4:35 PM, dhbailey wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>> Hello,
>> I am working on a score for full orchestra. The score is complete >> but when I print it to .pdf, the bar lines for part of the score >> are darker than other parts. I first noticed it in the perc parts >> where I reset the staff lines for two of the 5 staves to a 3 line >> grid. The bar lines for these two staves extend slightly above >> and below the staff. When I print to pdf, these two barlines are >> darker than the rest of barline which extends through the entire >> percussion section. In fact, the barlines for the woodwinds & >> brass are also darker than the strings & the other staves of the >> percussion section. It looks like there was a second barline >> drawn over the first one for the ww, brass & the two perc staves, >> making them darker than the others.  >> The paper printout doesn't seem to be affected, just the pdf >> version. Is there a setting that I missed which needs to be >> adjusted?
> When you print from the PDF are the barlines which are darker on-> screen printing fine?
> I think there's a problem in the screen rendering which may well > not appear in print from the same file.

I have seen this very often with PDFs from Windows machines, viewed on my Mac. When I view with Preview (the default viewer in OSX) the some lines appear gray or overdrawn, particularly barlines and beams. When I view with the latest Acrobat Reader, all looks fine. In both cases, though, printout is not affected.

Mac-produced PDFs (from the built-in print dialogue) do not seem to exhibit this behaviour at all.

Christopher