On May 1, 2007, at 8:18 AM, Dean M. Estabrook wrote:

When I speak, I also say, "eye-urn." I would direct my choir to sing, "ah-ih-ruhn." The difference being the treatment of the diphthong on the first syllable. I think I picked that mode up from Shaw, as a part of his (and mine) never-ending battle to exhort choirs to differentiate between our speaking lives and our singing lives.

That's what I would have figured, too. I gather that you're much more inclined than I am toward Received Pronunciation for everything choral, but I do agree with you about the distinction between spoken English and sung English.

I can understand that certainly sounds regularly get deformed in everyday speech, but each word still has a pronunciation which is understood to be "correct" if the word is enunciated, even if it's acceptable to depart from that pronunciation in ordinary speech. Take a phrase like "what are you going to do?" If you are asked to repeat that enunciating more clearly, you will surely use a very different set of sounds from those you used when you said it the first time. In ordinary speaking, one would say something like "wudderyagunnadoo", but all the while knowing what the "correct" pronunciation of each word really is.

I assumed something similar for "iron". In ordinary speech, my "eye- run" and your "eye-urn" are both blurred to the point where you'd barely notice the difference between them. What makes my wife laugh is when we're playing Boggle. When you read the words from your list, you tend to enunciate them, so when I get "iron" (a word that comes up fairly often in Boggle), I say the "eye-run" quite clearly, and everyone seems to find it very amusing. Even when enunciating, they still say "eye-urn".