Christopher Smith wrote:

On May 9, 2007, at 10:02 PM, Raymond Horton wrote:

Once, many years ago, a rock sound guy (perhaps not the tightest cable tie in the bunch, if you get my drift) was setting up mics for a pops concert of ours. I mentioned to him how we had a problem at the rehearsal getting a solo heard. He said to me, missing the point of what I had just said:

"That's the great thing about a symphony job. You just put up a bunch of mics, turn 'em on, and it sounds like a symphony!"

How can you argue with logic like that?

Well, I'm not sure he's so far off.

I give a lot of... well, let's say constructive... comments to sound engineers, especially if I am in the audience and paying good prices. I went up and spoke to the sound guy at a Joe Lovano concert here in Montreal at the Jazz Festival because of the bad sound quality, and darned if the sound didn't get better in the second half. All I said was, "Do you think the bass drum is that loud on stage?" Amazing the difference that made.

On the flip side, I also make it a point to mention when the sound has been good, and every time I do, I get variants of the same answer: "I didn't do much, just set a basic position and balance and let them play." ...
Christopher
Difference was - it sounds like your guys had some idea what they where doing.

RBH