On 15-May-07, at 9:35 AM, Williams, Jim wrote:

I'd say the modern bass flute is limited to homogeneous ensembles (ie flute choirs or [at most] smaller woodwind groups) or chamber music (Mancini-style or avant-garde) due to the low output level. Advanced recording ability, I'd also say, has boosted its role as well. Its color, I'd think, would be most valuable in the smaller settings above & would likely get lost in a wind ensemble tutti or even semi-tutti.

I liked what Mancini said about the bass flute in his book (generously paraphrased):

"The bass flute is very rare, very expensive, and very hard to get decent sound and record properly. Here's a piece where I used four of them."

Christopher