I've got to respond to what I think are a few misconceptions going around this list about composers. (Someone should pass this on to the Orchestralist. It sounds as if they could use a contrary opinion or two.)

1) Composing is hard work and it rarely pays off financially.

I've never heard of anyone becoming a composer to get a cushy job in a university or elsewhere. I do know a few university composers who think they have a sweet situation, but it never started out that way and they couldn't have predicted it.

I have had quite a few young musicians ask me how to get into movie scoring (or video game scoring), assuming that it is fun, easy and lucrative. (Unfortunately there is not usually the prerequisite love of film that is also needed to succeed in that world.) Apart from this exception, wanna-be composers are generally not blinded by false hopes of financial gain and easy living.

2) Composers do it because they need to write.

This is why authors write and painters paint and so on. Who wants to spend a lot of time with the work of an artist who has no intensive force to create? The work just isn't that interesting or involving.

3) Music theory is more of a descriptive art while the teaching of composition is more on the prescriptive side of things. Many composers have to wear both hats, but that doesn't mean they make the switch easily.

And one last thing:

John Eaton was an excellent composition teacher. His student's compositional styles ranged from conservative to very experimental, and most benefited and enjoyed their time working with him. His own music is challenging to both performers and audience to be sure, but his fans, and I consider myself one of them, are not just faking it.