On May 16, 2007, at 1:35 PM, shirling & neueweise wrote:

people study composition to get university positions; i spoke once with a uni prof who was sad to see that many of his master's and PhD students weren't really interested in composition. in fact one of his PhD students at the time had actually told him he was studying composition to get a comfortable job in a university.

I find this extremely hard to believe. There are only a few hundred U.S. university jobs available to composers, of which only a handful are open every year. Each such job opening will receive dozens, perhaps hundreds, of applications from new-minted PhDs, most of whom (me included) will never find work in the field. Hardly the way to go job hunting!

Saying you're studying composition in order to get a university job is entirely equivalent to saying you're studying violin in order to get a job with a major orchestra.

Andrew Stiller
Kallisti Music Press
http://www.kallistimusic.com/