Hi Dennis,

But, for new files, what happens if you use Check All Graphics... to
link the file instead of embed it? Doesn't the embedded graphic go
away?

As with expressions, Finale graphics have separate data structures for
the graphics itself and the assignment of the graphics to a particular
place in the music. When you delete the graphic, it appears that you
are deleting the assignment, but leaving the embedded graphic data
orphaned.

What I am suggesting is that instead of deleting the graphic and
placing it again, you instead use Check All Graphics... to unlink the
embedded file. Does that work for you for new scores? I understand
that it wouldn't help with old scores with orphaned embedded graphics.

Best regards,

Michael Good
Recordare LLC
www.recordare.com