On 27 May 2007 at 12:45, Dean M. Estabrook wrote:

> I perceive that there is a hang up on this thread, that we gotta have
> a leading tone present to qualify for tonality. Tonality can also be
> established by just plain harmonies or single chords. If you have a
> perfect fifth, or perfect fourth in a vertical aggregate,  you have,
> according to Schenker, a tonal center present.

Many words have more than one meaning, often a very specific one and
a generalized one. When some people use "tonal" they mean functional
tonality. Others mean merely music with a tonal center. Andrew quite
clearly used it in the former sense, which I think should have been
pretty clear to all given the music he was describing as non-tonal.

Neither is right.

Neither is wrong.

It depends on context.