At 1:24 PM -0700 5/28/07, Mariposa Symphony Orchestra wrote:
Oh, John (Howell) -- you wily arbitrator, you!

I have absolutely no disagreement with your logic, rationalizations or concepts. It all makes sense to me; I'll even hide raised eyebrows resulting from the omission of touring orchestras (even those in existence for many years with extensive concert schedules) but easily concur with excluding festival groups.

You know, you have a point regarding touring orchestras, if there were such, and I believe Andrew mentioned one which did visit Buffalo on tour. I'm familiar with touring military/concert bands, of course--Sousa, Gilmore, and the others enumerated by Harold Hill in "76 Trombones"--and the touring jazz big bands of the '30s and '40s. And there was clearly a time of touring choruses, from the Soviet Don Cossacks to Robert Shaw, Norman Luboff, and others, including Fred Waring on the non-classical side. But I'm honestly not aware of any specific touring orchestras, assuming we can agree that such an orchestra played repertoire typical of a fixed-location orchestra.

One thing about touring music, however, is that it tends to be a single program (or opera, or Broadway musical, or Minstrel or Vaudeville show) that tours, or in some cases more than one program but still separate, complete programs (as Chanticleer does). And of course the personnel of a touring orchestra may well change from one tour to the next. Still, if such an orchestra were to tour under the same conductor for continuity, and changed repertoire for subsequent tours, it would certainly have to be recognized as a bone fide orchestra, just not one associated with a specific town, city or state.

OK, you win that one!!  Now, name me one or more such orchestras!!!

John

--
John & Susie Howell
Virginia Tech Department of Music