Marilyn,

Uhh, I believe I've done this by accident before.

Sometimes in the middle of a heavy GPO project I'll need to do some quick print-only project. I'll switch the first "device" under "Midi Setup" to softsynth, since that is easier to work with on a quick project in which playback is unimportant. I do the small project, listen to it with the softsynth to check it, print it or whatever, and go back to my big GPO project.

Now, the first time I hit "play," I'm in for a surprise, because the first "device" under "Midi Setup" is still set to softsynth, so some of my instruments are playing softsynth. Is this is exactly what you want, or not?

I have to warn you - besides the different patches, the other tipoff of the problem is a difference in timing between the softsynth and GPO.

Ray Horton

dhbailey wrote:
MB wrote:
Hello. Is there any way to get playback to use native instruments VST
on some channels and general MIDI on others?  Choosing playback
through native instruments seems to eliminate the possibility of GM.
Is there any way around this? Thanks for any advice. Marilyn

You don't say whether you're on Mac or Windows.

There's no way currently to mix native instruments on some channels and GM on others from within Finale.

This pertains to Windows machines:
If you have a standalone way to run the Native Instruments, then you can use a virtual midi interface such as Midi-Yoke.

Then you can select Midi-Yoke-Midi-Out-1 (you can install midi-yoke so that it can provide up to 8 virtual midi devices) as the midi-out device in Finale for one set of channels, and then select Midi-Yoke-Midi-In-1 (it has to match the same number as what you selected in finale as the midi-out device) as the Midi-In device in the standalone version of native instruments.

You can then select other midi-out devices, such as the GM softsynth, or any other midi out device for other banks of channels in Finale, and thus combine different sound sources.

it's not particularly easy (nor is it particularly difficult), but it is possible.