On Jun 7, 2007, at 12:09 PM, John Howell wrote:

What makes things interesting is that instruments have evolved since a century ago, let alone a century and a half. Verdi wrote for a bass brass instrument, knowing that his orchestras would use an Ophicleide. Today those parts would be played on a tuba, but I seem to remember reading that Verdi himself expressed a preference for the Cimbasso.

I have on multiple occasions seen the grand march from Aida played with a cimbasso in the orchestra, including one concert by a youth orchestra.

(I say "seen" rather than "heard" because I'm not sure I'd recognize any difference in sound, but I certainly recognize a cimbasso on sight.)

mdl